Friday, October 19, 2012

LYS

For those not in the knitterly know, LYS stands for "local yarn store/shop".
I was kind of feeling bummed by all the gushing reviews of Knit City everywhere so I decided to console myself by checking out my new LYS. So this morning I dragged Ellie with me to this shop while Noelle was in school:
Wildfiber in Santa Monica
Cutest.yarn.shop.ever.
Today and tomorrow is their "yarn tasting" event, which, as you can see, allows you sample different lovely yarns and even knit with them. 
Ellie had as much fun as I did, truly! I was so happy the ladies were so cool with me having her in there. In the course of our time there Ellie managed to lose her stuffie which instigated a store-wide search by all the locals...it was so sweet. 
You can imagine Ellie's face when she saw this table!

Notice the Spring Garden tee on the wall?
The shop samples were well executed and well curated.

This is a blurry shot but I was kind of snapping pics with my phone like a very uncoordinated spy!
Pros: So many! The ladies who work there are energetic, helpful without being in-your-face, and have computers in the front hooked up to ravelry for easy access to pattern information.
They also have a "knit night" on Wednesdays. 
It's not an official one, but all are welcome and they are open until 8. 
The traffic today was a good mix of young and older knitters, exemplified by the mix of people on the couches, including the paper-reading bored-ass hubby and the two Japanese grandmas who were occupying the comfy couches. They were such fast knitters!
It really felt like everyone knew everyone, like Cheers. It was such a great vibe.
The only slight con was that they are not a ginormous shop so they didn't have many of the items I was planning to try out. But, it will not deter me from visiting again. My experience was too good!
Not to mention...

Madtosh DK in Magnolia Leaf. I've been lusting after this colorway for a while.


Noro. I personally love the rustic nubby feel of this wool. and the colors? To die for.
Happy Weekend everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. hurrah! what a LOVELY yarn shop! it's amazing how hard it is to find great yarn shops, don't you think? i know we're lacking some serious yarn shops here on the island. it's just so expensive to bring in all of the yarny goodness, i suppose....
    i love your purchases! what will you be knitting with them? how cool you get to do a test knit! haha love it! maybe next year we can travel to knit city together! xoxo
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete